Farhan Ali, M.D., M.A., M.P.H., F.A.C.C., F.S.C.A.I., R.P.V.I.
Farhan Ali was born in Norwalk, Connecticut and grew up in Fort Worth, Texas. He received his Bachelor of Arts at Washington University in St Louis, Missouri. He attended Boston University School of Medicine in Boston, Massachusetts where he earned a Master of Arts degree in Medical Sciences. He obtained his MD from Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, Louisiana and also obtained a Masters in Public Health degree while in Medical School from the Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. He attended Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas for Internal Medicine Residency and then completed Cardiology and Interventional Cardiology Fellowships at Detroit Medical Center / Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, Michigan. He served as Chief Interventional Fellow in Detroit and was awarded the Outstanding Fellow of the Year Award. He has numerous publications in the field of cardiology. He joined The Heart Center of North Texas in 2009. He is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology and the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions. He served as the first Chief of Advanced Cardiac Imaging at Medical City Fort Worth and helped develop programs in cardiac CTA, echocardiography, nuclear cardiology and MRI.
Dr. Ali is currently participating in research trials for the following:
- COSIRA-II (To demonstrate the safety and effectiveness of the Reducer system for treatment of patients with refractory angina pectoris treated with maximally tolerated guideline-directed medical therapy who demonstrate objective evidence of reversible myocardial ischemia in the distribution of the left coronary artery and who are deemed unsuitable for revascularization.)
- ALLEVIATE-HF (Demonstrate improved outcomes with the ALLEVIATE-HF patient management pathway.)
- AngelMED Guardian System (The study is to determine the diagnostic accuracy of the Guardian System.)
- Impella-Supported PCI in High-Risk Patients with Complex CAD and Reduced LVF (This is a study examining if high-risk patients with complex CAD and reduced left ventricular function, to determine if PCI with Impella will be safer and will facilitate higher rates of optimal and complete revascularization.)
- Encore PFO Closure Device (PerFORM Trial) (Study is to determine safety and effectiveness of a new PFO closure device.)
Dr. Ali coauthored a case study in July 2021 titled Cardiac Screening in a Young Adult Male Leading to Discovery of Post-COVID Myocarditis with Asymptomatic Large Apical Left Ventricular Thrombus. Click HERE to read the case study.
CBS DFW News story Some College Athletes Who’ve Recovered From COVID-19 May Be Suffering Long-Term Impact, Doctors Say featuring Dr. Ali Click HERE
Dr. Ali coauthored a case study in the March 2021 issue of Cath Lab Digest titled The Important Role of Clinical Suspicion in Diagnosis of Type V Popliteal Artery Entrapment Syndrome. Click HERE to read the case study.
Dr. Ali was recently featured in a Case Highlight from Cardiovascular Systems Inc. titled - Orbital Atherectomy Utilizing Pedal Approach. Click HERE to read the story.
Dr. Ali was featured in the August 2020 issue of Cath Lab Digest. The article is titled The Transpedal Approach is the Future of Peripheral Intervention in Office-Based Labs. Click HERE to read the story.
Dr. Ali was interviewed by CBS DFW for their news story regarding having regular checkups with your doctor during the current Covid-19 pandemic titled "Despite Pandemic, Doctors Urge Patients To Keep Getting Regular Checkups." Click HERE to watch. (It is the second story starting approximately 1 minute into the video)
Dr. Ali was featured on Baylor Scott & White Heart & Vascular Hospital's RadioMD sharing information about how aortic stenosis and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) procedures are now available for low risk patients. Click HERE to listen.
Dr. Ali's approach to medicine has always been to treat his patients like his own family. He understands the importance of taking time to listen to their problems without being distracted with the fast pace of medicine. He is also fluent in Spanish.
Dr. Farhan Ali's father, Dr. M. Ebadat Ali, a Pulmonologist and Critical Care Physician, retires after an amazing 45 year career serving the Fort Worth community. He was recently honored with the Gold-Headed Cane Award and his story is featured in the October 2019 issue of the Tarrant County Physician. Click HERE to read the story.
Since joining the Heart Center of North Texas, Dr. Ali has pioneered many procedures in the Fort Worth Area. He was the first to perform high risk stenting with the Impella Assist device in Tarrant County and has helped build Impella programs at local hospitals and has trained local cardiologists on the procedure. (Click links below to see article and videos)
- Patient Story: Justin Redman - Impella - click this link to play video
- NBC FW Impella Story - Justin Redman - click this link to play video
- ABC News Impella Story: Play and Download File
- Mike McConathy High Risk Stenting Video: Play and Download File
- Jerry Desmond High Risk Stenting Video: Play and Download File
Dr. Ali was the first in Texas to successfully remove a foot long clot from an Arkansas women’s heart and has since performed many similar procedures. (Click link below to see video)
Dr. Ali was the first in Tarrant County to perform Hybrid Coronary Revascularization and to develop a program for minimally invasive Heart surgery (click links below to see the videos)
- Hybrid Coronary Revascularization Article - Dallas Morning News
- CBS Dallas Video - Hybrid Coronary Revascularization
- YouTube Video - Hybrid Coronary Revascularization
Dr. Ali was the first in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area to use the Diamondback 360 Orbital Atherectomy System in the heart.
Dr. Ali was recently featured in the Star Telegram for an inspirational patient story. Please see link below:
Dr. Ali has published two interesting case reports in Cath Lab Digest, a national cardiology journal, describing an innovative approach to helping a patient during a heart attack. (Click links below to view)
Dr. Ali was published in a June 2016Cath Lab Digest article: Coil Embolization on a Large Coronary Artery Aneurysm(click the link to read the article)
Dr. Ali was again published in the March 2018 Cath Lab Digest issue as a co-author of Novel Use of Corindus Robotic Heart Catheterization System for Tryton Side Branch Stent Placement. (click the link to read the article)
Dr. Ali was published in the July 2019 Cath Lab issue co-authoring the article Treating a Rare Delayed Iatrogenic Mid Femoral Pseudoaneurysm After Chronic Total Occlusion Revascularization (click the link to read the article)
Most recently, Dr. Ali co-authored the article Revascularization of Occluded Axillo-Femoral Bypass by Transpedal and Transradial Approaches in Acute Limb Ischemia, which appears in the August 2019 issue of Cath Lab Digest. (click the link to read the article)
Dr. Ali serves on many Leadership committees at local Fort Worth Hospitals and was appointed by the Tarrant County Medical Society as a physician member of The Emergency Physicians Advisory Board (EPAB). As the only cardiologist on the board, he was instrumental in developing a first of its kind heart failure protocol that the local MedStar EMS services use to reduce hospital admissions in patients with congestive heart failure. Click here for njmedics article Click here for JEMS article
In May 2018, Dr. Ali co-authored a case report in Vascular Disease Management on Endovascular Repair of a Pseudoaneurysm Adjacent to the Ascending Thoracic Aorta Using a 25-mm Amplatzer Multi-Fenestrated Septal Occluder – Cribriform. This was published on the Vascular Disease Management website, the official news source for the international symposium on endovascular therapy. To read the article, click here.
Dr. Ali performs Structural Heart procedures such as the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR), the WATCHMAN and Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) procedures.
Dr. Ali is involved in the WATCHMAN program and was featured in the Star Telegram. Please see link below:
Dr. Ali was the first in Texas to use the FDA approved Amplatzer Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) Occluder procedure. Click here for Baylor Scott & White video (coming soon) Click here for Telemundo video Scrubbing In Article Fort Worth Business Article
He is also appointed as an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor in the department of Internal Medicine with the University of North Texas Health Science Center.
Dr. Ali was selected as a "Top Doc" in Fort Worth, Texas Magazine for cardiology in 2012 and "Top Doctors" in Texas Monthly Magazine for 2013.
Dr. Ali specializes in general cardiovascular diseases, interventional cardiology, peripheral interventions, echocardiography, nuclear cardiology, cardiovascular computed tomography, heart failure, atrial fibrillation, congenital heart disease, pulmonary hypertension, venous insufficiency treatment of varicose veins as well as many other cardiovascular related diseases.
He is skilled in complex coronary stenting, carotid stenting, abdominal aneurysm stenting, mesenteric and celiac artery stenting, subclavian artery stenting, atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale percutaneous closure, aortic valvuloplasty, mitral valvuloplasty, pulmonic valvuloplasty, right heart catheterization, temporary transvenous pacemaker placement, transesophageal echo and atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter electrical cardioversion, laser atherectomy, orbital atherectomy, directional atherectomy, renal artery stenting, inferior vena cava filter placement, endovenous laser ablation and many other cardiac procedures.
Click HERE to read the 360 West Magazine's TOP DOCTORS 2019 article featuring Drs. Farhan Ali and George Khammar.
Dr. Ali is board certified in:
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine (2005-2015)
- Board Certified in Cardiovascular Disease (2018-2028)
- Board Certified in Adult Comprehensive Echocardiography (2008-2018)
- Board Certified in Nuclear Cardiology (2007-2017)
- Board Certified in Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (2008-2018)
- Board Certified in Interventional Cardiology (2020-2030)
- Board Certified in Endovascular Medicine (2009-2019)
- Board Certified in Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation (2015-2025)
He has privileges at:
- Medical City Fort Worth
- Baylor All Saints Fort Worth
- Texas Health Harris Methodist Fort Worth
- Medical City Weatherford
- Lake Granbury Medical Center
- Texas Health Huguley Hospital, Burleson
He currently sees patients in the Fort Worth location.
Dr. Ali enjoys traveling and gardening with his wife and kids.
View more videos at: http://nbcdfw.com.
- President, Heart Center of North Texas - July 2022 - Present
- Medical Director, Structural Heart Program - Medical City Fort Worth - March 2023 - Present
- Medical Director of Interventional Cardiology- Baylor Jack & Jane Hamilton Heart & Vascular Hospital - 2017- March 2023
- Abbott Vascular Proctor for Amplatzer PFO Closure 2017- Present
- Chairman of Cardiology- Medical City Fort Worth 2015-2017
- Board Member – EPAB (Emergency Physician Advisory Board) Tarrant County 2011- 2017
Participated as an Investigator in these Clinical Trials
- CANOPY: Carotid Artery Stenting Outcomes in the Standard Risk Population for Carotid Enderectomy 2011- 2016 Sponsor Boston Scientific
- ODYSSEY OUTCOMES: A Randomized, Double- Blind, Placebo- Controlled, Parallel- Group Study to Evaluate the Effect of Alirocumab (SAR236553/ REGN727) on the Occurrence of Cardiovascular Events in Patients Who Have Recently Experienced an Acute Coronary Syndrome 2013- Current Sponsor: Sanofi-Aventis
- SuperNOVA : Stenting of the Superficial Femoral and Proximal Popliteal Arteries with the Boston Scientific INNOVA™ Self-Expanding Bare Metal Stent System 2010-2017 Current Sponsor: Boston Scientific
- TAO: Randomized, Double-Blind, Triple-Dummy Trial to Compare the Efficacy of Otamixaban (XRP0673) with Unfractionated Heparin + Eptifibatide, in Patients with Unstable Angina/ Non St Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction Scheduled to Undergo an Early Invasive Strategy 2010 – 2013 Sponsor: Sanofi-Aventi
- IMPROVE-IT: Improved Reduction of Outcomes: Vytorin Efficacy International Trial 2005 – 2014 Sponsor: Shering-Plough
- CHOICE: Carotid Stenting For High Surgical-Risk Patients; Evaluating Outcomes Through The Collection of Clinical Evidence 2009-2012 Sponsor: Abbott Vascular
- SAPPHIRE WW: Stenting and Angioplasty with protection in patients at high risk for Endarterectomy 2013-2014 Sponsor: Cordis a Johnson & Johnson Company
- PRECISION GRX Registry: A multicenter post-market registry for the evaluation of the CorPath GRX System effectiveness in percutaneous coronary interventions
- AMPLATZER PFO Occluder post approval study; Protocol Number: SJM-CIP-10187; 2018- Current Sponsor: St Jude Medical
ShareCare link: https://www.sharecare.com/doctor/dr-farhan-ali